Keeping Our Sandbox Clean: September Beach Cleanups, Surfrider Foundation
September 4, 2010
The other day I got the privilege of spotting one of my favorite professional surfers ripping at Ala Moana Bowls. On his way in, he spotted a plastic bag floating in the water and pocketed it before paddling on. Once on the shore, he did a scan of the beach and picked up any rubbish that had been littered in the sand. His actions reminded me that even the simplest of actions can make a big impact. Here’s a list of the beach cleanups the Surfrider Foundation is sponsoring for the month of September. Let’s all do our part of keeping our sandbox clean.
- Sat. September 11, Bolsa Chica State Beach 8 am to 12 pm, meet at lifeguard tower 21 at blue Surfrider tent
- Sat. September 25, 9th Street 8 am to 12 pm, look for blue Surfrider tent
- Sat. September 11, Alamitos Beach (downtown) 10 am to 10:30 am
- Sat September 18, Granada Ave. 10 am to 10:30 am, meet at end of Granada Ave. and bike path
- Sat. September 11, Echo Beach 3 pm to 5 pm, meet at 54 St. and Seashore Dr.
- Sat. September 18, Encinitas Moonlight Beach 9 am to 11 am, meet by sand at Cottonwood Creek
- Sat. September 25, California Coastal Cleanup Day 9 am to 12 pm, location TBD
South Orange County
- Sat. September 25, California Coastal Cleanup Day 9 am to 1 pm, San Juan Creek